Dohiyi Mir
    In Which NTodd Says His Peace

Monday, November 24, 2003
Go to the new DM blog.


Fire In Moscow


This makes me sad and hits home:

A fire at a university dormitory in Moscow has killed at least 28 people, many of them foreign students.

The fire broke out in the middle of the night, when most of the students inside the five-story dormitory were asleep.
...
[F]ires are increasingly common in many older, Soviet-era buildings, because of a lack of funds for proper maintenance and safety equipment. As a result, Russia has a high rate of deaths from fire.

I spent 3 months in Moscow in 1990, and lived in an obschyezhitiye* on Profsoyuznaya ulitsa (Trade Union street) while I attended the Moscow Institute of Steel and Alloys (I learned nothing about steel or alloys, just Russian). The building had 10 stories, IIRC, and I lived on the 5th floor.

Even back then the place was pretty decrepit. For example, our room lacked hot water for almost the entire summer, as the pipes that fed our column of rooms, for lack of a better expression, were broken. My 3 roomies and I would shower next door, where the hot (or more correctly, lukewarm) water mostly worked. Overall it was a pretty rundown building, but what dorm is a palace? While I never worried about it, I didn't ever quite feel like it was the safest building in the world.

Anyway, it's scary to think what might have happened to me and my friends had a fire occurred. The Soviets, and today the Russians, don't have the same dedication to safety that we do here in the US. While we obviously will always have our share of accidents and disasters, I think about how much worse things would be if we didn't have a government that creates and enforces building codes and other protective measures. An argument for not getting on the "deregulate everything" bandwagon BushCo and friends love so much.

ntodd

* I guess more of a hostel than a dorm per se, with mostly students but some non-students as well. And please forgive the poor transliteration. 
   |



June 2003 July 2003 August 2003 September 2003 October 2003 November 2003 December 2003 January 2004 February 2004 March 2004 April 2004 May 2004 April 2007

FAIR AND BALANCED

Best New Blog finalist - 2003 Koufax Awards

A non-violent, counter-dominant, left-liberal, possibly charismatic, quasi anarcho-libertarian Quaker's take on politics, volleyball, and other esoterica.

Lo alecha ha-m'lacha ligmor, v'lo atah ben chorin l'hibateyl mimenah.

For more about me, go to www.pritsky.net. You can also e-mail me at blog@pritsky.net.

My Weather Stations
Newark WX/Webcam
Fletcher WX

Donate to my Fox lawsuit legal fund (via Paypal or Amazon). Alternately, you can buy me stuff off my Amazon Wish List.

check to have all links open new windows

Boot Bush! Donate to the DNC today
Donate to the DNC

Single Donations: 2 = $170
Sustainer Donations: 1 = $40
Recurring Donations: 0 = $0
Total Donations: 3 = $210


Contribute to John Kerry

Total Donations: 13
Total Dollars: $750
Average Donation: $57.69


Give to MoveOn

In



Dean is still the messenger.
We are still the message.



My goodness! Rummy loves
these fair and balanced blogs:



The Coalition

Co-Conspirators Destined For Gitmo

Open Source Politics

Guilty By Association


Cairo wonders when I'll be fair
and balanced and go throw sticks...

Listed on Blogwise

Powered by Blogger